As one of the world’s leading examination boards, ISTD conducts roughly 250,000 assessments every year on a global basis. We offer a wide spectrum of vocational, recreational and social dance exams to children, students, amateurs and professionals.
We constantly strive to deliver the highest standards of artistic and administrative service to teachers and candidates. Our clearly defined structure allows learning to take place in the context of safe dance practice. The ISTD has seen a large increase in overseas examinations over recent years.
Exams we offer include:
• Grades: where the aim is to build up progressively, ensuring that steps and skills learned at lower levels prepare for more complex movements as the candidate progresses. Structured programme and syllabus work ensure progressive development for those keen to improve their technique
• Class exams: providing an assessment scheme for dance. This gives the basis for measurement of the candidate’s progress and development
• Medal exams: promoting an appreciation and enjoyment of dance and tracking progress in dancing through both understanding and performance
• Vocational graded exams: aiming to form a cohesive bridge between the work covered in the grades and the work of professional examinations. These exams develop the candidate’s expertise to provide the basis for either professional employment as a dancer, or further training as a dance teacher
• Professional exams: focused on delivering ISTD Associate, Licentiate or Fellowship teaching qualifications which give prospective dance teachers a solid grounding in the skills and knowledge needed to teach dance in a safe environment.
“The ISTD is the original and most respected dance society, and expects the highest standards”
Brian Anderson, an ISTD Fellow and dance teacher